Friday, April 3, 2009

Quote of the day 4/3/09

Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones.
John Burroughs

Wow, I really hope some of you respond to this one. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this quotes and how it applies to your lives.

For me, this hit hard as I look back at the parent I was. I so PREACHED. And PREACHED and PREACHED. Just ask my kids. Long diatribes of how many times I had to say this same thing over and over, listing all the things I had done to try to improve their behavior, bla bla bla bla!!!! Had I listened to my mother, and allowed life to teach me as I went along I would have learned and implemented more effective skills so much earlier. But, rather than listen to my heart and nature I used my reasoning to justify my actions. When really my actions were is personal release, all I got out of my poor parenting skills was forcing a captive audience to listen to my woe's. I was taking out my frustrations on my children rather than stepping up being an Example to them and showing love and support. I distracted them from the best teacher and failed to allow them to learn lessons through through their own natural consequences. I was self absorbed and believed my sermons were useful to them.

For me the quote should read: Most effective parents teach by example rather than preaching.

I love my children so much as I did then and wanted to the right thing by them. I so want to be the Mom that provides unconditional love, unfailing belief and support, and act in ways to empower them to reach beyond their own dreams.

Love you all,

Jacky

No comments:

Post a Comment